Janaury is National Hobby Month! We might be a little biased, but gardening is our favorite hobby for a number of reasons:
1. Great family activity! Gardening can help kids learn responsibility, learn new skills and is a great science experiment for them. They can not only learn about parts of a plant, but what they need to grow, practice their colors, measuring, and more. Gardening can also help teach your children about sustainability and conservation.
2. Benefits your physical health! Gardening is a great physical exercise. From tilling and planting to watering and weeding, there is always something to do in your garden to help get you moving.
3. Benefits your kitchen! When planting edible crops, you will harvest home-grown, organic produce for your kitchen without having to drive to the store. Fruit and vegetables from your garden taste much better than store-bought produce, too.
4. Benefits your overall wellness! Being outside in your garden, as well as having plants indoors, can help battle depression and anxiety, keep your mind sharp and get you fresh air and vitamin d. [SOURCE: AARP.org]
5. Benefits your home! Having a garden space adds curb appeal and value to your home, as well as gives you a place to relax and unwind.